About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Self Confessed Sydney Snob

Born and bred in Sydney, and proud of it!

Spending most of my adult life there my attitude regarding the rest of Australia was that there really only was Sydney and Melbourne, and the rest of the states were of mild interest at best. I lived in Sydney and thought the only other place I would want to live was Melbourne. As long as I lived in Sydney and visited Melbourne at least once a year, I was happy. I had absolutely no interest in even visiting Brisbane - maybe I'd like to go to Sea World one day, and childhood holidays at Surfers Paradise were fun (I know not Brisbane - but close!), but that was it.

Anyway I reluctantly moved to Brisbane several years ago (partner's job) and have been constantly amazed since by the truckloads of fabulously talented people - artists, craftspeople, designers - wherever category that you want to put them in that live and work here. Why didn't I know about them ( or care)?

Standing on the other side of the fence now I don't want to always look to Sydney and Melbourne (and other fabulous states) and compare. There is no reason that things can't happen here because the talent sure isn't lacking. I think we just need to get together a bit more, join forces and help eachother. Remember there is power in numbers and that has to be good for everyone.

Mel Robson ceramics(pictured above) - just one fabulous world class Queenslander.

No comments: