About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Friday, September 01, 2006

"Distinctly Sydney"



Do I make Brisbane work since I live here? Do I make Sydney work since I grew up there? Does my work reflect my European heritage? Would my work be different if I spent time in Perth?

I'm really not sure. Perhaps it is "yes" to all of the above.

I started wondering about this when I came across the website of my favourite ceramicist, during my days at the Rock's Markets. I was a little obsessed and have a number of her bright pieces that I use almost daily. On her opening page she describes her work as "distinctly Sydney" and I wondered what that meant as her work has few references to any of Sydney's icons. Was she referring to the colours? Are they Sydney colours?

I'm not sure how location or heritage influences my work I'm just sure that they do. Yesterday it was wet and overcast, a rare day in Brisbane, and I became fixated on making grey plastic jewellery. Lots of jewellery - all grey.

2 comments:

Wayne Joseph Kington said...

I could just photograph some of your existing pieces in black and white!

Liana Kabel said...

Gee thanks Mr W.J.K, you are almost as helpful as Ms Wrecker.