About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2007

I Don't have To Be Good At EVERYTHING



















Being an artist/designer/craftsperson/writer or whatever creative area you are in really means that you are just not able be an artist/designer/craftsperson/writer or whatever. You have to be so much more if you are going to be successful. I guess we all tend to work this out quickly enough and realise that we can add marketer, web technician, accountant and many other titles to our job description.

At first I probably resisted this need. Hey I just want to make stuff. Shouldn't that really be what's all about? But it soon dawned on me that it didn't matter how great I thought my stuff was if no one else knew about it. So I started expanding my skills.

Although I have (generally) been happy to do this, I also realise that I will never be great at everything. I just don't have the time to learn as much as actual graphic designers, accountants, photographers etc. So whenever I can (cash flow or the kindness of others permitting)I'll get some help and hopefully in the future this will be more often.

I think to truly be successful you have to be good at many things. One of those things is choosing the right people to assist you. This way you don't have to be great at everything, just the thing that you really do best.

Stella Danalis has designed all my current stationery

2 comments:

Anna Davern said...

that's a beautiful brooch.

Liana Kabel said...

Thanks anna.

I must tell you that I think you are FANTASTIC for just getting up and going. The people who succeed don't let anything stop them. Good for u. xx