About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2007

A Fondness For Teenagers


Before jewellery overtook my life I worked in healthcare. At various times I've worked with children, adolescents, the elderly and adults. My favourite group by far were the teenagers, as I found them to be the group that you could make the biggest impact on. Also I love a challenge, and often they were the most challenging.

Besides a few jewellery workshops over the last few years I haven't had a lot to do with this section of the population. Although recently I have become reacquainted, as I am getting regular emails from high school students. I guess I must be on some sort of list. It is quite surreal to think that I have been mentioned in numerous school assignments.

One of my priorities now is to find better/faster/more efficient ways to answer these regular questions, because if these students are anything like myself, the assignment is probably due tomorrow!

How could I resist emails like these?!

p.s. i hope i'm not annoying! i love your jewellery. :)

I'd appreciate any info. you can send me and I'm wondering if you'd like to put it into a 1000 words for me. haha. =]

I have been unable to find your full name and birthdate.I know this is perhaps personal information but would appreciate it if you could tell me these secrets.I promise to keep it between me and my teacher!

i would like to know a bit about how the company formed and maybe how 'LiANA Kabel' got where it is today, how you started the company

ohhh thanks your the best thats the exact information i neeed!!! thankssssssss
byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee:):)



pictured above, Tumbling Bangles (made from vintage Tupperware tumblers)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i adore the artists that give their time to eager art students wanting just a slice of inspiration from their chosen source. i'll never forget the words i was told when i was 18 and writing a personal study on a young artist from WA...not only was my assignment a success...her encouragement drove me full speed down the path I am on today. i'll be forever grateful. i'm sure they really appreciate your time liana. love the new needle earrings. i'm currently playing with some on canvas..their candy coloured ways are making my mind go crazy...love!

laura.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you write back to the teenagers. I teach Year 9 and last year we did an assignment on an exhibition at Ian Potter. The kids had to do research and I told them if they wanted to, to contact the artists directly. One girl was SO SO SO excited when one wrote back and I was quite chuffed as well because she then had this amazing personal connection to the art world which I couldn't create alone. So from the teachers perspective, when you write back, you are making their day and I guarantee they will go home and that will be the conversation at the dinner table.


Oh and in relation to the copycat thread, a friend of a friend works at a large chain store, she finds accessories in boutiques in Melbourne, then sends them to China to get mass produced. Jerks.