About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 17, 2007

I Like Cats But I Don't Like COPYCATS


I had a bad dream last night about the Brisbane person who has been selling knitting needle bangles as her design. I'm not happy about it and I don't plan to ignore it. I just don't think I could respect myself if I did ignore it completely.I also don't want to dwell on it all day so I decided to do a little cathartic posting now. Anyway I got that out and now I'm off to spend the rest of the day with happier thoughts.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is terrible Liana. We are all behind you and know you are the original!

There is also an artist in Melbourne copying your work, but with aluminium knitting needles.

The best advice I have heard, is that you can't stop people copying but you can spread the exposure of your own work, so people will know that others are copying. Plus, you will always be a step ahead with new designs.

Florence Forrest said...

It's good to get it off your chest. When designing is your profession, how it eats away at one when someone steals from you all that hard work that it took you to get to that point that represent a design.

100% with you girl!

xx

Veronica Darling... said...

Hey Liana,

I love your work, and your photography is exceptional as well!

One thing I've noticed is that good ideas spread really quickly. Years ago my friend gave me some bangles that were from reverse garbage in Melbs - cut from red cricket balls... she used them in the creche/kindy she worked in for the kids to use.

12 months later when I saw them for sale in various shops in Melbs, I kicked myself for not spreading them first.

But it's lazy design.

xoxox love your work!!!

Anonymous said...

there's a girl making bracelets from knitting needles in melb and she's claims to have invented the idea