About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

I'm Not A Regular Market Girl


Today is the deadline to pay for the next SBYDM. After doing one last month, and one last year, I've decided to decline the offer. I don't plan to do any more of these markets. They just don't suit me. I gave it a go, and think it is a fantastic market for a lot of people, I just don't happen to be one of them. I'll support it by attending from now on.

This decision was based on asking myself a few questions. I thought about the type of work I make, where my practice is right now and where I want it to go. It is important to know who you are in terms of your practice/business, and to ask yourself these types of questions every now and again. You'll end up making better decisions that way. Don't worry if you make a few 'mistakes' along the way, because these are important too. I've always learn't more from my 'mistakes' than from my successes.

I'm also dropping MySpace. Great for bands. Not great for me. I'm seeing the potential in Twitter at the moment. But who knows if I end up keeping it for the long haul? I'll assess that in a few more weeks.

2 comments:

Betty Jo said...

Interesting to read your views on markets. I was going to make 2010 a "marketing odessy" for Betty Jo, but now I've changed my tune. As for MySpace, it's a bit of a vacant space for me right now!

Liana Kabel said...

That was my plan too. I thought it would bring in some extra money and satisfy my need to be around people. But it just didn't feel the way to go about it.

For now I'll put my energies into creating my own events, building my online shops/stockists, and doing some special markets like Finders Keepers (if they'll have me). I do love to participate in a market, just not a regular/small one.