About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Monday, October 06, 2008

Take a Ball of Thread


Take a ball of thread…
a jewellery project by Melinda Young
opens at Pablo Fanque tomorrow. If I was in Sydney I'd be there in a flash, for sure!

Melinda has created a really awe-inspiring collection of pink jewellery (oh so my favourite kind!) from a simple and brilliant idea. As she states at the beginning of her project, The plan is to use this entire ball of pink thread I found to make a series of new jewellery pieces .

Not only are the end result and concept fabulous, but so is the fact that Melinda has documented the entire process. Such insight into the creative process, although more common now with the proliferation of blogs/websites, can still unfortunately be hard to come by. Knowing how/why something was made adds so much to the experience of viewing/understand the work, and as importantly, the person behind the work. More of it I say!

1 comment:

Melinda Young said...

Hello
Thank you so much for the lovely post Liana!
Congratulations on having your work chosen for the Plastic Jewellery book. Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.
Loving the new beady earrings you are making
m
xxx