About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Friday, March 03, 2006

Everything I know I learnt from T.V (part 2)


I never really understood the collector's exhibitions. You know the regular craft/art show that allows us to glimpse into artist's collections and thus provide insight into their work. I just never found them that interesting or that enlightening.

I now may have to review this stance as I've started collecting myself. With a teeny budget and buckets of passion I've started to gather a small but growing array of old/vintage/retro plastic things. The focus is on jewellery, but not just. Already in a number of weeks I feel I understand so much more about the material I choose to work with - plastic.

I sort of thought collecting was going to be important but I wasn't sure why. Last week television came to my rescue when I watched a doco on collectors and the reason why they collect. The (mandatory) expert said something that stuck with me, and it was that what was important about collecting was the "collecting of knowledge". Yes, I think I agree. So I'm now hoping to become a whole lot more knowledgeable in the future.

No comments: