About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Contemporary Craft = Object



10 years ago I had a stall at the Rock's Markets (Sydney). I was there every weekend for three and a half years (pretty much). For every one of those weekends I would pop into the Object (now Collect) store at least twice. There were many more times I visited the store both before and after, but this was a regular concentrated effort.

The Object store really was where I learnt about contemporary craft. That place was an important part of my education. It was also part of my dreams. I wished that one day I would make some fabulous crafty thing (not sure what it would be) to stock it . A few years later after I moved to Brisbane and started making some plasticy jewellery, I did.

So now with the closure of it I feel like a part of my history is disappearing and that just makes me feel sad.

(I always loved to see Jenny Orchard's figurative ceramic pieces that are pictured above).

2 comments:

Florence Forrest said...

It is sad to see it going. We'll have to build new dreams.

xxx

Liana Kabel said...

I think we are!