About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Friday, September 29, 2006

One-Of-A-Kind

I sent my work off to Pomme this week for the Flowering Art exhibition, and I've got to say that I felt a little sad about it. The work sent marked the near end of some of my favourite vintage materials. These included a Tupperware pastry sheet manufactured in Melbourne in 1969, cellulose buttons from the 1950's, the best retro tape measure I have found to date with really big black numbers, a shampoo bottle (O.K not old but I would have to get through another bottle of pretty average shampoo to get another), a smallish supply of 1950's plastic sequins that are dwindling rapidly and lovely old plastic games counters that just don't compare to the plastics used today.

It sure is sad but I guess I'll just have to think myself lucky for finding such special things in the first place. Now back to the never-ending hunt for more and better vintage knitting needles.

No comments: