About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Straight Shooter

I was just watching the most recent episode (for us Aussies anyway) of Project Runway (season 3). It was the one before the final runway show in which all the designers come back for a Q & A and all the nasty/funny bits are rehashed. It was mildly interesting, although there was one moment that really made it worthwhile watching. Season One winner, and my all time favourite, Guru Jay was asked who he thought would win this season. Unlike all the others who were asked and said things like such and such will win because they "really understand a woman's body" or "cutting edge designs" blah blah. Guru Jay said something like "I definitely think Michael Knight will win because you picked the gay white guy first, the Asian immigrant second and your going to pick the black guy third".

I laughed because it was funny and possibly even true. I don't believe the playing field is even and there is always an agenda or bias lurking somewhere. At times this is to your advantage and other times it is not - sometimes you're in and sometimes you're out.

Saying that I also believe that all you can ever really do, is to do the best you can and work HARD. As the saying goes, the harder I work the luckier I get.

No comments: