About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2007

Failure?



There have been many, many times when I have failed. Actually, I never really thought of these times as failures, but they can certainly be viewed in that way. I'm talking about all the times things didn't go as well as I'd hoped, such as, not selling well (or at all!) at an exhibition, creating a new design that wasn't well received, a promised article that new happened and generally feeling disheartened and wondering why I do the crazy thing that I do - I make plastic jewellery for goodness sake!

Right now I'm doing better than ever, and I believe that the "failures" I've had, and will continue to have (as unpleasant as they are), have been an important part of my current success ( it feels weird to say that!).

Every time something doesn't work out you have a choice whether to throw in the towel, or take it as the opportunity it is, to reassess and make some improvements. I try to do that, although feeling down (just for a little while) is natural and O.K (and I do that too!).Perhaps I'm just in the mood for giving a little pep talk after reading/hearing about makers (mostly on etsy forums) who want to give up after,what seems like, no time at all.

Here is just a bit more advise (if you want it), work out what your TRULY passionate about, work HARD, be ORIGINAL and don't give up (not if you REALLY want it).

Any other advise out there,?? I'm always looking to improve.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't reckon you need any.

I think girls who make plastic jewellery are pretty close to

GOD.

Anna Davern said...

Davernator's Rule #1. Never ever use the word Failure! They are set-backs.

That's it, that's the only rule.

Anonymous said...

SO true, the word "failure" isn't needed, cause like you said, they ain't some! They are just exploration projects, as I like to call them! :) hehe

Jodi @ Happy House Quilts said...

It's all about the law of attraction...the ones that don't exactly work are samples or promos...giggle. Great blog...off to go see your shop. I sold Tupperware and love it! Any chance you are a mom? would love you to join a SAHM/WAHM street team we are trying to organize. Anyway...off to check out more of your blog and your shop. Thanks for posting your blog addy at the forums!

Shannon Garson said...

I think the difference between unsuccessful and successful artists can be encapsulated by the fact that if you hang in there for long enough you'll get good at what you do and everyone else will drop off!

In the case of art this is a LONG time 5-10 years for moderate success and financial independence.

I also think that to be a professional artist you have to treat your art as a job and that means doing all things you don't really like (accounting and pricelists and applying for funding) well with the same level of professionalism you apply to your making.

Liana Kabel said...

Oh Shula thanks, but I know there is always room for improvement.