About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Monday, August 27, 2007

Inked


I have never denied that I like TV. I will say it again, I really do like TV. I use it to relax and unwind, as background noise when I make repetitive pieces that may otherwise drive me insane(?) and I even watch certain shows (such as Fashion TV) to draw inspiration from. Maybe not everything I know I have learnt was from TV, but lots sure was.

My current obsessive TV viewing is Miami Ink. It is a reality TV show about a Miami tattoo parlour. I just can't seem to get enough of it! Maybe I like it because it's blokey. Let's face it the jewellery/craft world isn't filled with men. We do now have a man in the studio, so that's great, but still the women to men ratio is severely out of whack. Maybe I like it because about it offers something so different to my major obsession - the plastic and the jewellery. Although tattoos aren't completely unrelated to jewellery. There is the body adornment thing and the art aspect. The show is also a lot about people and the stories behind their tattoos, and I DO like people. But for whatever reasons I watch it, I like it and it helps me have a happier day!

Also, just in case you were interested, I have no tattoos nor do I want any tattoos. Although if I was going to get one I'd get a pink wrapped lolly on my shoulder. That might be cool, and really only if Garver could do it.

Perhaps all this will lead to some tattoo inspired jewellery in the future? Who knows......maybe?

5 comments:

Angie said...

Have you seen LA Ink? It's the same idea, but it's just the girl and her own shop in LA. It's very good :)

Sara Millis said...

I hope they do a UK inked, or at least show what you guys are up to... sounds like a good watch. Sara x

shula said...

Tattoo jewellry.

Now there's a Good Idea...

edward and lilly said...

I love Miami Ink, it's the best and I too don't have tattoos. I love that it's so masculine yet so creative.

iHanna said...

anything that makes you happy doesn't need an explanation, right? :-) I haven't seen the show but my friend who wants a tatoo loooves it!"