About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Friday, January 18, 2008

Being Decisive?


Why are some decisions made so quickly, while others...? Buying a car in under an hour (and the right car at that) sounds so impressive and decisive. But taking over a year to buy a camera just seems daft. I can't seem to make a decision and it is really starting to drive me a little mad. Maybe the more important something is to you the longer it takes to come to a conclusion. Or maybe we just don't always realise how long it is we really have been thinking about something.

Anyway a camera is one thing on my mind, and another is new designs. I really want some new kickass designs this year. Last year was a lot about reaping the benefits of designs created the year before and then just keeping up with the production and marketing of them. This year will still be that, but I am itching to create something new, and wonderful (fingers crossed).

Having some time away at the moment from the pressure of making constantly, as well as all the day to day stuff, it does feel like ideas are starting to flow. That's a good start. I'm at that annoying/exciting stage when there are ideas there but they aren't fully formed and I'm just not sure how long it will take for them to be, or if they ever will be.

I think with making a decision, be it buying something, creating something or even those tricky personal ones, you just have to do your research, think about it, think about it some more, and at the end just trust your gut. I know for me I so often end up where I started. I probably knew the answer from the beginning but I had to go through this big round about journey to get right back to the place I began. Even if you know the answer from the get go maybe the seemingly important decisions (designing & cameras for me) just need that time. Perhaps your head just takes longer to catch up.

above image - link sent to me by 'Brandy, a fan in Chicago' The Mandala of Perfect Happiness - thanks Brandy!

Chris Harvey has created a glorious city of towers made from the cheap plastic products found in discount stores.

No comments: