About Liana

My photo
Brisbane, Australia
My studio is located in Brisbane, Australia. For the past 10 years I’ve been enjoying creating jewellery designs from an array of mundane materials. Tupperware and knitting needles have remained a firm favourite. My designs have been published numerous times, graced the shelves of many wonderful galleries and stores and been worn by those whose aren’t afraid of colour and attention. All of which I am very grateful for. For several years I’ve also been fortunate enough to work with many businesses as a coach and workshop facilitator.

Search This Blog

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Pinterest and the Triangle Bangle




Pinterest can be wonderful. 
It's a source of inspiration, exposure, connection and a way to spend some time (sometimes a whole lot of time). Mostly I love the time that I spend there, as I'm generally careful when and for how long I stay. I love the exposure through creating a board that is just for my designs. I love the connections that I have made, although I probably need to work on those a little more. I don't comment much, so I think I shall do that more, as I always appreciate when people comment on my images. 

Getting to the main point of this post 
- Pinterest and Inspiration.
I'm in two minds about it. 

I'm interested in the trends and what is popular, which are always so easy to identify on Pinterest. Neon, geo, vertical gardens, infographics - to name a few that are "in" right now and therefore dominate the pins. 
I love that, but I hate it too. 
It's interesting to a point, and then it all gets a bit dull.
 I guess the flip-side is that you can be influential here and pin original designs and pin images that hasn't been pinned before. I'll have to do more of that too.

I guess because the trends are so visible on Pinterest it can be hard not to be influenced by them. This is something I usually avoid for myself. I like to know the trends but I don't want to follow them. It's great when I happen to be on trend, or even better when I help create one - I think I've done that before!

My recent series of triangular/geo pieces, (which you can view more of on my website)
were no doubt heavily influenced by a the geo images I've been viewing largely on Pinterest. I'm mostly okay with that as I believe they are a different interpretation and use different materials from what I've seen. So I don't mind this sort of thing happening every now and again, but in general I know I want to be ahead of the trends, not behind them. That just doesn't sit well with me.  So I'll be a little more aware of this while I spend time on Pinterest in the future.

Saying all that, I do love my Triangle Bangles (pictured above).
In fact, I'm wearing one right now! 



No comments: